Saturday, February 16, 2008

February 17-23 Read 2Nephi 9:24 -- 2 Nephi 19 (p. 75-90)


This weeks reading is as follows:


Isaiah Chapters: There are many helps to understanding Isaiah that are given in the Bible that are not repeated in the notes for the chapters of Isaiah quoted in the Book of Mormon. Search the Isaiah footnotes for understanding. Don't worry if you find these chapters to be difficult to understand. As you continually study the scriptures and re-read the words of Isaiah, each time it will have more meaning for you.


Sunday: 2 Nephi 9:24-54 (p. 75-77)

Monday: 2 Nephi 10 (p. 78-80)

Tuesday: 2 Nephi 11 &12 (p. 80-82)

  • What does the word "mountain" refer to? (12:1-4)

Wedensday: 2 Nephi 13 &14 (p. 82-84)

Thursday: 2 Nephi (p.84-86)

Friday: 2 Nephi 16 & 17 (p. 86-87)

  • Make paper boats, color them.

Saturday: 2 Nephi 18 &19 (p. 88-90)

  • What are the titles given to Jesus in 19:6?

Weekly reading tips:

  • Lehi predicted that the people of Jerusalem would be carried away, but one day they should be brought back. Israel became a country again only about sixty years ago, and many of them have returned.

  • Chapter 16: Make your own Liahona with a styrophom ball and toothpicks and sequins et. Explain about the Liahona. We can use the scriptures to guide us like the liahona.

  • Chapter 16 Make a bow and arrow, roll play the story. Who did Nephi and his father ask to find out where food was.


6 comments:

Scott and Lindsay said...

Just an idea reading with younger kids - I started picking out a few words in the chapter we're reading, one that is recurring and have the kids listen for everytime I say the words. Whenever they hear them, they're supposed to tap me on the shoulder. I usually change words during the chapter and it seems to keep them interested. Tonight they even reminded me I was supposed to choose and word, and Wesley even shouted out, "Behold!"

harry said...

Over the years I have gotten used to the fact that I have knowledge of the savior and that I know that he lives and knows me and my struggles and concerns. I sometimes take it for granted that we have a living Prophed on the earth today and that his guidance is there for us all the time. We receive continuous revelation for the things we are facing today-----somstimes I have to remind myself that those things and many other things that the church has for us shall not be taken for granted, but cherished and appreciated. We need to remind ourselves how blessed we are and that we need to do all we can in order to continuousely have those blessings in our lives. Those blessings are fragile and we can loose them by making the wrong choices in our lives. "I pray that by reading from the prophests of old as well as by listening to the prophets today we will feel of the spirit and know that it is true..."

Tim said...

Not too many entries this week. Since I don't have loads of insight but I do have lots of questions perhaps there could be some discussion about a certain question that I have about chapter 16. Does anybody know why the Lord would tell Isaiah to close the eyes, ears and hearts of the people so that they could not see, hear and be healed? Somewhat confusing to me as this would seem to be a worthwhile thing for the children of God. There must be some historical context to explain this. Let's hear some discussion.

Constance said...

In response to Tim, here is what I read at BYU's Neal A. Maxwell Institute for Religious Scholarship:

"The Lord charges Isaiah to preach to a people who are spiritually defective, whose hearts are fat, their ears heavy, and their eyes shut."

http://www.maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/display.php?table=jbms&id=90

Williams Family said...

I really like Tim's question and I really like Elder Maxwells answer that Sister Grimm shared. I have been thinking a lot about this answer and am wondering if President Monson has the same charge as Isaiah. Thinking about this really makes me want to humble myself more and make the changes in my life that would allow me not to be so spirtually defective. I am so glad I have the scriptures to guide me through this life.

Bishop

Randy said...

I just wanted to make a quick comment. I feel sometimes that the harder I try to make money the more illusive it gets and as I was reading 2 Nephi 26:31 I had a thought that maybe my heart is not completely in benefiting "Zion". The reason I say this is not because I would go out and use the money for wicked practices but I couldn't also say I wouldn't go out and buy new furniture that happened to include a plasma screen. I feel as though I am falling apart (maybe literally) at the seams trying to make more money when in reality I should be putting more effort in the building up of Zion and let those things, as much as it hurts to say this, of this world that will stay in this world take care of themselves. I have never been left without my needs when I am diligently serving the Lord, therefore I will not perish. If this doesn't make sense to anyone else I am blaming the narcotics (prescription of course).